This quick and easy veggie spaghetti recipe is my “healthy” version of spaghetti night. Whole wheat spaghetti, kale, and Roma tomatoes seasoned with olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and red pepper flakes and topped with parmesan cheese. If you weren’t already, this pasta dish will turn you into a kale lover! YES…it is that good!
Quick & Easy Veggie Spaghetti Recipe
Who, besides me, is a pasta LOVER? I know that I am not the only one who searches the internet and tries new pasta recipes like my life depends on it. After a long winter of making way too many comfort foods, I decided to lighten up my spaghetti night.
One hot May afternoon I decided to make a new recipe. I wanted pasta but I wanted it to be light and have some nutritional value. So I went into my kitchen and gathered ingredients that I thought would taste perfect together.
I started with the spaghetti, if I don’t have spaghetti squash on hand then I prefer to use whole wheat spaghetti. I used a nickel sized amount dry which makes around 1 cup of cooked spaghetti. (This was only being made for one. So double, triple, or quadruple depending on how many mouths you are feeding.)
While my spaghetti is cooking, I diced 2 Roma tomatoes and chopped 2 cups of kale. Then I drained my spaghetti, threw it back into the pan, drizzled it with around 2 tablespoons of olive oil and added my tomatoes and kale.
Here comes my favorite part, the seasonings. I always have way too many dried seasoning in my pantry. What can I say I love to switch up my food flavor profiles.
This quick and easy veggie spaghetti recipe is a “healthy” version of spaghetti night.
I love Simply Organics Italian Seasoning or if you have a Hy-vee near you, their That’s Smart! Italian Seasoning is pretty AMAZING! I add around 2 tablespoons of whichever one I have on hand. Then I add a little garlic powder, around a 1/4 teaspoon. Yes, I should use fresh but I have become accustomed to having dried garlic in my home. Throw in a pinch of salt, around a 1/4 teaspoon. Now here’s the thing with this next ingredient, if you like heat like me add it in, if not forget it. I am talking red pepper flakes and I LOVE to add them for a little kick. All you need is a pinch.
With your stove on medium heat, stir the pasts dish until you cook the kale and tomatoes to your liking. I don’t love mushy tomatoes or kale so I just cook to make sure everything is hot and nicely seasoned.
After cooking everything to your liking, add even more flavor by topping it off with a little parmesan cheese. But most importantly ENJOY the easy and tasty dish that you just created.
Thank you to everyone who helped me name this dish! I loved hearing all of your ideas.
- 1 cup cooked Spaghetti or around a nickel sized dry
- 2 cups kale
- 2 Roma Tomatos
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- **Any of these seasonings can be lessoned or added to. Season to you taste **
- Optional- Chicken
- If your spaghetti is not cooked, cook according to the package instructions. I prefer al dente pasta but you should cook it to your liking.
- While you pasta is cooking dice your tomatoes and chop up your kale.
- Drain your pasta and place it back into the pan. Add your tomatoes and kale.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle in your seasonings.
- With your stove on medium heat, stir the pasts dish until you cook the kale and tomatoes to your liking. I don't love mushy tomatoes or kale so I just cook to make sure everything is hot and nicely seasoned.
- After cooking everything to your liking, add even more flavor by topping it off with a little parmesan cheese. But most importantly ENJOY the easy and tasty dish that you just created.
Don’t Forget To Follow Me: